- 7 video lessons (64 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
- 1. Introduction (1 min)
- 2. Jumping into Unity (13 mins)
- 3. Materials and Color (8 mins)
- 4. Improving Your Materials (16 mins)
- 5. Sky and Background (7 mins)
- 6. Integrating Steam VR (9 mins)
- 7. Scripts and Course Wrap-Up (8 mins)
What You Will Learn
- How to assemble a virtual reality application from scratch using Unity.
- How to create an easy-to-use and reuse virtual reality template.
- Understand the process of process adding features, SketchUp data, VR components, textures.
- How to implement scripts to easily toggle between variations of virtual reality experiences.
Building on the skills developed in Virtual Reality for Planners 1 and 2, this course teaches viewers how to assemble a virtual reality application from scratch using Unity, a popular real-time 3D game development engine. This course provides a high-level overview of the process involved in creating a virtual reality application and details about how to make the process as successful as possible. Included in the course materials is a code template designed to assist planners in creating a VR environment without having to write a single line of code.
Starting with an empty unity project, course instructor Chase Mullen walks through the process of adding features, SketchUp data, VR components, textures, backgrounds, sky, and fine-tuning the creation of a virtual reality environment that can be used to facilitate a diverse set of planning initiatives.
The intent of this course is to create a simple VR experience in which a user can view an “existing” urban environment, and toggle between different levels of height or density. The models provided are intended to be somewhat generic and provide a framework with which to incrementally build a custom, unique virtual reality experience. By the end of this course, viewers will have the skills they need to create a virtual reality application from scratch in Unity.
Learn these skills
- 3D Modeling
- Civic Engagement
- Communications & Media
- Modeling & Simulation
- Urban Design
- Virtual Reality
- Trimble SketchUp