Teach for Planetizen
- Planetizen Courses are developed in collaboration with working professionals to provide practical skills that planning professionals use in their work.
- We are seeking experienced instructors to help us develop and expand our video courses.
- Instructors work with with a Planetizen Courses producer to plan and record hour-long courses on a freelance basis.
- ArcGIS Online
- Autodesk 3ds Max Design
- AutoCAD Civil/Civil 3D
- AutoCAD LT
- Cisco WebEx
- Citrix GoToWebinar / GoToMeeting
- Drupal (to build a planning-related website)
- ESRI City Engine 3D Modeling
- GRASS GIS
- Land F/X
- Microsoft Project (managing planning projects)
- Open Geo Suite
- Open Trip Planner
- Rhino 3D and VRay
- 'R' Statistics & Programing
- Social media management software
- URBEMIS & emissions modeling
- Wikis (for public participation)
- WordPress (to build a planning-related website)
- Minimum 3 years of teaching experience.
- Minimum 3 years of planning, or related experience.
- Demonstrated expertise with the topic(s) you propose to teach.
- Prepared curriculum. (Ideally, you are already teaching the topic, and can deliver a similar course for Planetizen.)
- If teaching about a software product, the Instructor should have a functional, licensed copy of the software for demonstration.
- Excellent computer and Internet literacy.
- Complete fluency in English.
- Participate in an initial orientation call or Skype meeting.
- Prepared a course outline in consultation with the Planetizen Courses Producer.
- Work with the Planetizen Courses Producer to determine appropriate images, video and other materials.
- Participate in two course planning meetings with the Planetizen Courses Producer.
- Record video courses at Planetizen's video studio in Los Angeles, California.
- Prepare multiple choice questions for each course.
- Courses must be completed within 45 days of the project start date.
- Compensation is based on a per course hour basis, and based on teaching experience.
- Instructors receive visibility on the Planetizen Courses website.
- Instructors can work from any location to plan the courses, but must visit Planetizen's studio in Los Angeles, CA to record the course.
- Planetizen provides a travel stipend for instructors outside of Southern California.
Please submit the following to Chris Steins, Planetizen Editor, via email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your resume.
- A one-paragraph summary for each course you propose to teach.
- A 1-minute audio and video recording of yourself discussing any topic. (This could be recorded using a smart phone or any inexpensive camera. We're not looking for video quality, just your presentation style.)
Thanks for your potential interest in becoming a Planetizen Instructor.