What You Will Learn
- Overview of telecom technologies and facilities
- Local Government regulatory concerns
- Review of federal laws that affect local government regulation of telecommunications
- Review of Substantive that affect local regulation of wireless facilities
- Procedural rules that affect local regulation of wireless facilities
Congress passed the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 to encourage the growth of new communications technologies and ensure local regulatory authorities do not unduly inhibit that growth. More recent federal legislation and court decisions have established additional rules planners must follow when regulating satellite communications and wireless facilities. This course will provide planners and local officials with the information needed to comply with federal law.
This course is approved for 1 AICP CM credit, including 1 Law credit.