- Overview of telecom technologies and facilities
- Local Government regulatory concerns
- Review of federal laws that affect local government regulation of telecommunications
- Review of Substantive that affect local regulation of wireless facilities
- Procedural rules that affect local regulation of wireless facilities
Telecommunication technologies and facilities are subject to federal laws that intersect with land use regulation and development. This course examines the requirements for such technologies as radio antennas, satellite receiving dishes, cellular towers, and 5G DAS wireless networks to comply with federal laws and regulations.
Congress passed the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996 to encourage the growth of new communications technologies and ensure local regulatory authorities do not unduly inhibit that growth. More recent federal legislation and court decisions have established additional rules that planners must follow when regulating satellite communications and wireless facilities. Join course instructor Alan Weinstein in "Complying With Federal Law in Regulating Telecommunications" and learn what urban planners and local officials need to know to comply with federal law.