- 11 video lessons (68 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
2.Why the District?5 mins
3.The Methodology6 mins
4.Phase 1: Discovery4 mins
5.Phase 2: Documenting the Current State13 mins
6.Phase 3: Assessing Strengths and Challenges7 mins
7.Phase 4: Identifying Potential Strategies9 mins
8.Phase 5: Establish Revenue Sources8 mins
9.Phase 6: Select and Implement Appropriate Strategies5 mins
10.Phase 7: Stewardship4 mins
What You Will Learn
- Understand the attributes of the district as an ideal scape for neighborhood revitalization
- Learn a methodology for assessing current state of a district, establishing a vision for improvement, and financing an implementation plan
- Learn key indicators of a district’s health
- Review best practices of neighborhood revitalization strategies
- Understand key principles/strategies for financing districts
Neighborhood districts present an opportunity to plan and implement improvements within a relatively short timeframe (2-5 years), given their shared market conditions and infrastructure. Rather than articulate a specific set of one-size-fits-all strategies, this course presents a rigorous but adaptable methodology designed to build strengths and address challenges by developing customized approaches that directly respond to the needs and vision of each neighborhood.
The topics covered in the "Methods for Neighborhood Scale Revitalization" course include current state analysis, SWOT analysis (across the domains of design, policy, and finance), identification of residential and commercial key performance indicators, analysis of best (and worst) practices from other cities and neighborhoods, development of an implementation plan, and creation of financing districts to generate and recycle value into the neighborhood.
Learn these skills
- Civic Engagement
- Economic Development
- Environmental Planning
- Land Use
- Plan Making
- Real Estate
- Urban Design
This course is approved for 1 AICP CM credit.
AIA CESThis course is 1 LU.
This course is approved for 1 SACPLAN CPD point.