What You Will Learn
- Understand and create a career map as a tool for managing ongoing choices.
- Learn about an expanded range of opportunities for planning work.
- Know the pros and cons of working in different types of planning organizations.
- Acquire tools and perspectives to assess one’s preferred ways of working to find alignment with ideal jobs.
- Develop practical strategies for responding to self-doubt.
- Hone decision-making capabilities to support ongoing career choices.
- Master the resume, cover letter and application process.
- Understand the multiple types of mentoring and develop a mentor map to make a game plan for peer support.
The planning profession offers many types of work in support of important public objectives, so planners face many choices about launching and re-launching their careers. This course is based on the idea that planners are most effective when their jobs are well-matched with their characteristics and goals. We will discuss everything that a prospective or junior planner needs to know to chart a fulfilling career.