- 6 video lessons (70 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
- 1. Introduction (2 mins)
- 2. What is Location Optimization? (15 mins)
- 3. Mathematical Notations and Solutions (9 mins)
- 4. Formulating an Optimization Model (20 mins)
- 5. Manufacturing Plant Location: Point-Based Location Optimization in LINGO (11 mins)
- 6. Plotting Optimization Model Results in QGIS (11 mins)
What You Will Learn
- Foundational concepts in location optimization, including mathematical notation, optimization problem formulation, and model solution types.
- How to apply this knowledge by solving a simple point-based location problem using QGIS and LINGO software.
Urban planners, civil engineers, and GIScientists work together to plan the optimal location for public facilities and businesses based on a set of quantitative criteria, including distance, supply, and demand.
This course introduces the basic principles of these location optimization models and provides a hands-on tutorial on point-based location optimization using QGIS (open source GIS software) and LINGO (linear optimization software which can be obtained with a demo license). While not required, this course is supplemented by information found in Business Site Selection, Location Analysis, and GIS, written by R.L. Church and A.T. Murray.
At the end of this course, you will understand the basic principles of location optimization models and be able to perform basic point-based location optimization.
Learn these skills
- Data Visualization
- Urban Design