- 8 video lessons (55 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
1. Introduction 1 min
2. Public Life for Women Today 11 mins
3. Street Harassment and the Flâneuse 8 mins
4. Women and Mobility 7 mins
5. Public Policy and Power 6 mins
6. Public Space in Practice 11 mins
7. Case Study: Vienna 6 mins
8. Conclusion 1 min
What You Will Learn
- Understand gender bias in urban environments.
- Understand the role that gender has played in constructing cities and systems throughout history.
- Learn about contemporary examples of women impacting cities globally and in different contexts.
- Learn about alternative feminist approaches to urban design, architecture, transportation, policy, and urban planning.
- Gain the ability to critically assess urban development from a gender-equitable lens.
- Further the conversation around gender equitable cities.
While the home conjures up notions of domestications and segregated gender roles, the public realm brings to mind perhaps a much darker, more dangerous image of the female experience in streets and other public spaces. The "Gender Equity in the Public Sphere" course outlines the ways women have historically occupied public spaces and also reveals how some cities are working toward greater levels of visibility for women in the public realm.
Learn these skills
- Civic Engagement
- Environmental Planning
- Land Use
- Pedestrian Planning
- Public Health
- Urban Design