- Learn how transportation finance has evolved to current practice
- Review the general structure of finance mechanisms in the United States
- Identify the key policy issues in transportation finance
- Learn about how planning, programming and finance are linked
- Explore alternative issues in equity that apply to transportation finance
- Learn about current issues in transportation finance and project delivery
Transportation facilities and programs require large amounts of capital and operations funding. The menu of funding sources is complex, including federal and state sources based on gas and other taxes, local funds based on self-help sales taxes, general revenues, user fees, and many other sources.
This courses explains principles of transportation finance and reviews the general structure for funding projects. It reviews the history of U.S. funding from strong local funding to state and federal involvement to regional funding sources.