- 8 video lessons (66 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
2.What is a Dark Sky Site?10 mins
3.Tales From Dark Sky Sites16 mins
4.Planners and Engineers8 mins
5.Municipal Lighting Solutions11 mins
6.Selecting the Right Type of LED7 mins
7.Implementing a Lighting Ordinance9 mins
What You Will Learn
- Learn about dark sky sites and their designations.
- Understand past successes and challenges from dark sky site designation case studies.
- Learn how to create and apply a lighting ordinance in your community.
- Understand the most common challenges that planners and engineers face when installing dark sky lighting.
- Identify how to select the best type of LED lighting for your community.
- Learn how to apply best case lighting solutions in your community.
Light pollution has significant impacts on humans and the environment. This course outlines various dark sky designations and dark sky sites, examines case studies on creation of dark sky sites in North America, highlights common opportunities and challenges for planners and engineers working with dark sky lighting, discusses how to create and apply lighting regulations in a municipal setting, and teaches best practices to improve municipal lighting as well as how to pick the correct type of LED lighting for your community.
Learn these skills
- Environmental Planning
- Land Use
- Law and Policy
- Parks & Recreation
- Public Health
- Urban Design
This course is approved for 1 AICP CM credit.