- 8 video lessons (59 Mins)
Browse Course Chapters
2.Purposes and Principles of Architectural Expression8 mins
3.Modernist Abstraction7 mins
4.Problems with Contemporary Abstraction9 mins
5.Expression of Structure9 mins
6.Expression of Accessibility7 mins
7.Expression of Sustainability13 mins
What You Will Learn
- Describe how the formal quality of a building may reinforce the owners’ or users’ wealth, power, or status.
- Describe the five points of architecture advanced by Le Corbusier.
- Explain how defamiliarization reflects the idealization of capitalist freedom.
- Describe how competition may be maladaptive in both avian and human species.
- Describe the change in control layer theory from the use of monolithic walls of brick or stone to the use of layered, optimized, and relatively insubstantial membranes and insulative materials.
- Describe three ways in which structural expression may damage the functionality of buildings.
Learn these skills
This course is approved for 1 AICP CM credit.